3 posts Page 1 of 1
Postby vertigo » 13 Jul 2018 01:43
When I rip a bluray then mount the ISO in a virtual drive, playing the files from that drive is very slow. It often takes several seconds for the player to load the file and start playing it, and during that time it is unresponsive, and so is the file explorer window. It even often causes the taskbar buttons to shuffle a bit, sometimes making the file explorer button move to the end of the taskbar. And if I try to interact with PotPlayer while it's loading, even just clicking on it, once it loads and starts playing the window will often jump.

VLC and WMP don't have this issue, and both play the files immediately without any problems. Moving the files to a normal folder and opening them works fine, so it's an issue with them being in a virtual drive. I tried three different virtual drive programs, and, while there seemed to be some difference between them, it was very minor, and even the best/fastest one was still quite slow. I recently upgraded my computer, and this is one of multiple reasons I went with a larger, faster SSD, so I could have the ISOs on that instead of before where they were on a HDD. Even with the ISO on my 960 Evo, a drive that is more than capable of providing immediate playback, the problem occurs. In fact, other players are much faster, usually immediate, with an ISO on a HDD, and PotPlayer also is for files in a regular folder on the HDD, so, again, it's clearly an issue specific to it being a virtual drive. It's almost as if PotPlayer thinks it's a physical drive (well, it does, as that's the point) and changes its behavior based on that, expecting the drive to be slow, as it doesn't realize it's just a virtual drive and is actually very fast.

My current OS is Win10x64, but I had the problem on Win7x64 as well. And it should be obvious, but the CPU and memory aren't the issue, either, as they're both more than capable. In fact, I could even try putting the ISO on a RAM disk, but it's doubtful it would matter based on everything else. I'd really like to get it to perform better in this situation; please let me know if there's any other info I can provide.
Postby D2NP » 16 Jul 2018 22:52
The developer can not confirm. He does not have problems with this.
I also have no problems with this

so try the latest beta version and reset the player settings
Always try the latest beta version (x32 only) before continuing a discussion here.
When you have a problem (Follow steps 1,2,3)
Postby vertigo » 14 Sep 2018 08:06
I never got an email notification for this, hence my delayed reply. Since posting this, the problem appears to have mostly gone away. I'm not sure what changed, but I haven't experienced it lately, with one minor exception. One thing I've noticed that may be related to this is that the files on some ISOs take several seconds to play, and the last couple times it happened I noticed both times were with images of discs with playlist obfuscation. That doesn't really make sense, since it shouldn't affect simply playing the files, especially since it does it on m2ts files, which if anything you would expect it to affect mpls files, which actually play much faster (the m2ts files take ~5 seconds vs ~2-3 seconds for the mpls files and ~1 second for both types normally, i.e. other discs). I haven't tried the beta, since I just updated to the latest version (1.7.13963) which I assume contains any fixes that were in the beta a couple months ago. I can try it if you think it would help, though. Resetting PotPlayer didn't help, either.

Edit: I just tried another test. I copied the entire BD structure from the ISO into a separate folder, and the files loaded faster, though there was still a 1-2 second delay. Moving the files out of the BD structure and just into a regular folder, they played immediately. Also, simply renaming the folder from "STREAM" to something else makes them play immediately. So being in the ISO seems to affect it slightly, but it seems something about playlist obfuscated disc files being in a "STREAM" folder really slows it down. Changing the name of the "PLAYLIST" folder doesn't have the same effect, I'm guessing since the "STREAM" folder has to have its normal name for the playlists to work, and that slows it down.
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Login

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests