3 posts Page 1 of 1
Postby Xenos » 04 Dec 2017 01:08
Hi,

I'm working a lot with Advanced Sub Station Alpha subtitles (.ass) because this format allows me to merge two different subtitle files in one, which is extremely useful when I need to display subtitles in two languages simultaneusly.
Also, in .ass format, I can adjust the position of the subtitles as I want (even for specific lines only) and the information is saved within the file, so they are always being displayed the same way, in any player, on any computer.

Potplayer handles .ass subs perfectly in full screen mode, but in smaller size windows has some issues.
I'll try to explain, using the folowing examples:

The .ass subtitles file I use contains subtitles in two languages, Greek and English.
English are set to be displayed in the lower position, in yellow color.
Greek are set to be displayed the upper position, in white color.

Picture 1:
Potplayer is in full screen mode.
Engish subs: Lower, in yellow.
Greek subs: Upper, in white.

Position, outline, shadow of the subtitles are all perfect.

Picture 2:
Potplayer is in, let's say, medium size.
Engish subs: Lower, in yellow.
Greek subs: Upper, in white.

Position is OK.

Outline and shadow of the subtitles are not being resized properly and they seem thicker than what they should be.

Picture 3:
Potplayer is in smaller size.
Greek subs (in white) maintain their position .
Engish subs (in yellow) however, leave their specified position and appear above the Greek subs.

This happens only when the subtitles set in the lower position (in this case English) have two lines of text.
It seems as if they don't "fit" in their position when the player window gets too small, so they are automatically being moved above.

Also, outline and shadow of the subtitles are not being resized properly and they seem thicker than what they should be.

Picture 4 (just for comparing to another player):
VLC is in small size.
Position, outline, shadow of tha subtitles are being displayed correctly (proportionally resized), no matter how small the player window is.

Is it possible to fix this, so that the subtitles maintain their position and size, even when Potplayer is in small size?
It is very helpful (and much faster) to work with subtitles on a text editor and just drag 'n' drop them in PotPlayer's window to see the results immediately, than having to move in and out of full screen every time I make a change.

I'm also attaching the test subtitles file (.ass) I'm using.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fLkMDxoR14gwB6-ehLK1ms6DHliDxjfZ

Thank you very much in Advance,

Xenos
Postby 감자사랑 » 04 Dec 2017 17:24
It is because of output method, according to the dev.

Changing overlay to image type will solve the problem in small screen.
Always try the latest beta version (x32 only) before continuing a discussion here.
This is NOT official support though. It is my contribution to Potplayer.

Thread Subscription and E-mail Notification won't work at all.
Postby Xenos » 04 Dec 2017 18:40
Yes!

You people are amazing, thank you!
3 posts Page 1 of 1

Login