9 posts Page 1 of 1
Postby ausrob » 27 Aug 2017 14:45
This is driving me crazy just cannot get my head around the meaning of many of the settings in preferences.
The first one I do not understand is the Audio Output preference.
The drop down menu gives 4 different options (PCM , LPCM , S/PDIF after AC3 re encoding and S/PDIF after DTS re encoding)
The option S/PDIF after AC3 re encoding is an option I have used to send 5.1 audio to a receiver amp.
I do not understand what this option means.
Since my source audio is already AC3 why would the output need to be "re encoded" to AC3 ??
Is that really what this option is doing ??
Why would my AC3 audio need to be modified or changed in any way ??
Can it not simply pass straight through and output same as source?
Then the amp can do the decoding.
If I set the output preference to PCM it also sends 5.1 audio to the amp.
Does this mean that Potplayer is decoding the audio and sending PCM to the amp??
I wont even start with meanings of the preferences in the "set built in audio decoder" section because I have no idea what they mean.
Postby 감자사랑 » 27 Aug 2017 16:48
You don't need to touch it as I said in other threads. If it doesn't work as I said before, you can double check by using other decoders. Or simply try other players. Do not dig the options you don't know.
Always try the latest beta version (x32 only) before continuing a discussion here.
This is NOT official support though. It is my contribution to Potplayer.

Thread Subscription and E-mail Notification won't work at all.
Postby ausrob » 27 Aug 2017 17:04
Sorry I think you miss my point.
I am confused on the meaning of the descriptions of many preferences.
One example is "S/PDIF after AC3 re encoding"
What does that mean ?
Is the player (with that setting selected) re encoding the audio to AC3 ?
This is simply a general random question on preference descriptions.
I want to understand in my own mind what many of these preference settings are actually doing.
Postby 감자사랑 » 27 Aug 2017 20:57
It means just as it is. For example, you shouldn't select the option if the audio source is AC3.

It's for the audio source which your external receiver can't accept from bitstreaming when you have no choice but to use bitstreaming.
Always try the latest beta version (x32 only) before continuing a discussion here.

Postby ausrob » 28 Aug 2017 09:02
Thank You
Very well Explained
Sorry just one more question -
With Output setting on "PCM"
Does this mean the decoding is being done by Potplayer and not by the Receiver Amp ?
Postby 감자사랑 » 28 Aug 2017 09:35
As long as you did not enable SPDIF settings in built-in decoder setup dialog. PCM is a kind of decoded audio data.

If you enable SPDIF settings from built-in audio decoder (provided by Potplayer) or any other external audio decoders (like lav or ac3filter which can allow SPDIF passthrough too) and if SPDIF just works without any problem which means bitstreaming is working, the audio data is binary form and it is passed to external audio devices through SPDIF/HDMI interface before decoding by S/W audio decoders mentioned above. So the rest output settings are meaningless with SPDIF enabled. That's why you don't need to touch it.

The important thing is whether SPDIF pass through works or not. It should work by the setup procedure in the guide link. If not, something is wrong or broken.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1030&p=5872&hilit=spdif#p3372

If you are under such situation, we need a video sample causing the problem to confirm.

Postby ausrob » 28 Aug 2017 16:38
Thanks again for all the explanation.
I think I understand.
If I use settings exactly as in the guide link you supplied then I do not get 5.1 audio from my receiver.
I know this as I have tried that setup.
In "set built in audio decoder" if I set AC3 to "default S/PDIF muxer" and DTS to "default S/PDIF muxer" then my receiver does produce 5.1 audio.
From my understanding of your previous explanation this should not happen.
Postby 감자사랑 » 28 Aug 2017 16:55
The given guide is not complete setup. Like you said, individual spdif demuxer should be ticked. If not (Just enabling Pass Through like in the given screenshot), spdif won't work. If your external receiver supports further formats like EAC3, TrueHD and DTS-HD, it should be ticked too.

There are drop down lists for spdif demuxer. It means Potplayer provides multiple SPDIF demuxers so that you can try others if not works with one of them.

Postby ausrob » 28 Aug 2017 18:16
Again Thank you for all your help.
Now I understand the given guide was not to be followed EXACTLY as displayed.
The boxes that where highlighted in Yellow means a choice must be made for that box.
Not to be left as "disable"as displayed.
Hopefully I will need no more help with this.
9 posts Page 1 of 1

Login