37 posts Page 4 of 4
Postby Costas » 26 Apr 2017 01:02
Hello to all PotPlayer fans out there.

I've just registered on this forum, just to express my thanks and appreciation for the work done by V@no, to address the issue with PotPlayer's new yellow, ugly-as-hell icon that PotPlayer's developers have recently decided to start using. I really cannot give a reason as to why the old, beautiful icon had to be replaced with that ugly, eye-piercing, bright yellow, scrambled egg mess. As much as I really love PotPlayer for its performance and great customization, I really hate the new icon, and was hoping that it would be officially updated some time soon. Sadly, update after update, it seems the ugly icon is here to stay, and get even uglier. Have a look at the latest update to see what I mean... They have kept the bright yellow colour, have put it in a rounded square, and have added a distorted, pixelated, black "Player" text below it! UGLINESS at its UGLIEST!!! Yuck!

Anyway, I'm very glad to see that, as always, the user community has once again provided a solution to this issue, and an excellent one at that! Because I'm a programmer, and also extremely paranoid about the appearance of the apps on my PC, I've also used Axialis IconWorkshop several times in the past, to update other ugly icons from apps' .EXE/.DLL resources, especially icons that permanently show up in the System Tray. In my case I've used IconWorkshop directly, to edit and save the icons in the files.

V@no's method is fully automated and works flawlessly. The original files are backed up, complete with timestamps, and the new icon is replaced with the old, light blue one. No problems, no issues at all. You just have to put V@no's patcher .EXE inside PotPlayer's installation directory and run it. Afterwards, you may need to refresh your icon cache by rebooting Windows, in order for the updated icon to show everywhere. I've been using the patched PotPlayer (latest version) since yesterday and everything works perfectly, and I have not seen the ugly yellow icon anywhere (not yet anyway). Finally, I can confirm that V@no's patch works with the latest version of PotPlayer (1.7.1916) too, so it seems to be independent of version number, as long as the icon resource structures remain the same.

So, a big thanks again to V@no for the excellent work, and I do hope that this thread makes PotPlayer's developers rethink their choice of icon and release a version with a beautiful official icon...
Postby mzso » 09 May 2017 23:42
V@no wrote:
As of association icons, to be honest I didn't realize it changes them too...I'm still seeing old style icons, but I didn't run re-association in new version yet.

[EDIT]
I've updated the script to v1.1 that also fixes the association icon (link in my original reply)

What if I only want to fix the association icon? I don't want to hack program files, which will likely get upgraded at some point.
Plus I can always change the icons of total commander's toolbar or the .lnk-s of windows manually.
Postby V@no » 10 May 2017 07:11
You can copy PotIcons.dll and replacer into separate folder, run the replacer and then copy poticons.dll back to potplayer folder. But either you'd have to do this after each update.
How to replace ugly new yellow icon in PotPlayer with the old one or your own
Display breadcrumbs links on this forum and a link to latest PotPlayer beta.
Postby mzso » 10 May 2017 18:29
V@no wrote:You can copy PotIcons.dll and replacer into separate folder, run the replacer and then copy poticons.dll back to potplayer folder.

Thanks.
V@no wrote:But either you'd have to do this after each update.

But only if I run file associations right? I don't use the installer (if that does such things) I usually just overwrite the files manually.
Postby V@no » 11 May 2017 22:04
PotIcons.dll is used for association icons, as long as you don't overwrite it....
Postby mzso » 12 May 2017 19:00
V@no wrote:PotIcons.dll is used for association icons, as long as you don't overwrite it....

I see. But I had a yellow icon for some files, even though the yellow icon is not in poticons.dll even in the new versions.

Maybe they were formats that I associated manually because PP didn't support it internally.
Postby V@no » 20 Jul 2017 22:07
@감자사랑: you are the only one here who has direct communication with devs, can you relay to them, that new icon is nearly undistinguished from folder icon:
37 posts Page 4 of 4

Login